Statistical Mechanics (Advanced Texts in Physics)

1
Statistical Mechanics (Advanced Texts in Physics)

I have found Schwabl’s Statistical Mechanics to be an indispensible reference this semester even though it’s not on the reading list for my stat mech course (intro graduate level). I should qualify that statement by saying that I’ve used it primarily for the Ch.6 on magnetism, and the Ch.4 on ideal quantum gases, and I have not looked at any of the exercises at the end of chapters so I cannot attest to their (non)usefulness.
The text is well made (LaTeX!) and full of illuminating diagrams. Other than a persistant occurence of the word “und” the translation from german seems to be flawless, and the notation seems pretty standard, consistent, and intuitive.
As for the presentation, it seems a bit eclectic. Not that I’m an expert, but Ch.1 is an extremely terse forray into some advanced concepts that are irrelevant until about Ch.3. It seems odd to bring up the microcanonical/grand canonical ensembles before the chapter on thermodynamics, but that could just be my bias due to the structure of the course I’m taking right now.
The Ch 8 on Brownian motion, the Fokker-Plank and Langevin eqns is not standard, but actually quite fascinating & I don’t see why those topics are usually left for more advanced stat mech books.
In short, a great supplement! And to the professors out there, I would suggest at least mentioning the existence of this book.
 
Download From
 
Link1
Link2

No comments:

Post a Comment